Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Silence

Some people may think of silence in a negative way. Silence is awkward. Silence is shady. Silence isn't right! I don't feel that way. I think that silence is an important part of defining relationships, and that's coming from a person who loves to talk. Imagine, sitting in a silent class"working" on something your teacher assigned and your brain just needs a break. When you look up you see your friend across the way and although you can't talk you send messages back and forth via facial expression or hand motions. For me, I find this funny and entertaining and it also reassures me how comfortable I am with my friends that I could have a good time with them without a single word. Or another example, in a romantic relationship silence is key. Of course you always want to have good conversation with your partner and be able to spend quality time together but this can also be spent in silence. Staring into eachother's eyes or just holding one another is a solid connection and it doesn't require speaking. Basically, I feel silence isn't meant to be awkward or creepy but more of a way to draw people closer to eachother through actions rather than words.

No comments:

Post a Comment