Thursday, October 1, 2009

Language

Language is one of the things we looked at during class. We talked about how language reflects certain cultures. My friend's older brother had a softball team so my friends and I wanted to be the managers. Each of the back of our shirts reflected something from our personal culture. My one friend just put "manager" because it was her brother's team and she doesn't really have a culture besides American that she associates closely with. Another friend put "Mur" because it is part of her last name and her last name connects to her family's Polish/Italian heritage. The last one put "la jefe" which means "the boss" in Spanish because she is part Mexican. On my shirt I put Keezheekoni which means "burning fire" in Native American language because I am part Cherokee. Not only did our names reflect our cultures but also our personalities. The manager is obedient to her elders, Mur is proud of her family name, the boss thinks very highly of herself (in the nicest sense possible), and I am simply a burning fire. Overall this is just one example that shows how language is reflective of culture. We may speak the same language as people in England, but the way we use it is different because of our surroundings and the people that influence us.

1 comment:

  1. that is very clever/interesting how your jersey names relate to the cultures. did you even think about that when you designed the names or did you realize in soc class?

    ReplyDelete