Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sociological Norms

After discussing the sociological norms in class I realized that my friends and I are sometimes sociologically inappropriate. Whatever the type of taboo it might be, we tend to break them all. We will tell each other if the other looks bad, discuss going to the bathroom, and even subjects more unimaginable. It's not because we are gross people, it's just because we feel very comfortable around each other. But we also all know that if there were guys around or someone we just met, we wouldn't want to scare them with our comfort level with each other. Taboos may be looked down upon and thought of as wrong, but in my opinion it really depends on who is judging you. My friends and I don't judge each other so we feel like saying or doing nearly anything is acceptable, where as if we were around our teachers and they were listening in on a discussion they would be disgusted. Sure, we follow the norms to an extent and mores as well, but the thing that sets us apart from most is our taboo-like behavior. I'm not ashamed of it and know who I can use it around now that I know some of the things I may do or say would be considered a taboo for many people.
p.s. I still don't understand how the people in India don't get in accidents...is it because they are not as crazy of drivers as Americans?

4 comments:

  1. that is a good point. taboos almost disappear when you are with your best friends. Yet, they reappear when someone joins that you are not as comfortable with

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a really good point. Taboos were socially constructed. There are different taboos for different situations. Yet, when you are in private or with people you are really comfortable with, there are practically no taboos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree, i would only be able to talk to my friends like that but I would never be able to tell someone else that they don't look good or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah i agree..it all depends on where you, who you're with, and how well you know them.

    ReplyDelete